Current:Home > reviewsHollywood strikes taking a toll on California's economy -Capitatum
Hollywood strikes taking a toll on California's economy
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 01:58:47
Los Angeles — Hollywood scribes met with studio executives Friday for the first time since the Writer's Guild of America went on strike just over three months ago.
The more than 11,000 film and television writers that make up the WGA have been on strike since early May. In mid-July, they were joined on the picket lines by the approximately 65,000 actors in the Screen Actors Guild–American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, SAG-AFTRA, a move that has shuttered nearly all scripted Hollywood production.
It marks the first time since 1960 that both guilds have been on strike simultaneously. The economic impact has been especially heightened in California, where film and television production accounts for more than 700,000 jobs and nearly $70 billion a year in wages, according to the California Film Commission.
- Impact of Hollywood strikes being felt across the pond
"We are really fighting for the rights of the people who are working and living in the city," Burbank Mayor Konstantine Anthony told CBS News. "And that's really who I represent. I didn't get voted in by studios."
Anthony is also an actor along with being mayor of Burbank, which is home to several studios, including Disney and Warner Bros.
"If people aren't coming to work, if people are on strike, they're not spending money at their local grocery store," Anthony said. "All of those secondary industries are greatly affected by the loss of that income."
That includes Alex Uceda's catering company, which feeds Hollywood production crews.
"At the end of last year, we were working like 10, 11 jobs every day," Uceda said. "It drops to maybe one or two jobs now."
Uceda, who estimates he has lost about 70% of his business in that time, has had to lay off nearly half his employees since the WGA strike began.
Several big stars — including the likes of Oprah, Julia Roberts, Meryl Streep and Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson — have each made donations of $1 million or more to the SAG-AFTRA's financial assistance program.
"I beg all the people from the studio, please, please make it happen, you know, for the good of everyone," Uceda said.
Both the WGA and SAG-AFTRA are negotiating separately with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, the group that represents all the major Hollywood studios. Among the most hotly-contested issues for both groups are residuals from streaming services and the use of artificial intelligence.
Earlier this week, the WGA informed its members that Carol Lombardini, AMPTP president, had reached out and "requested" Friday's meeting "to discuss negotiations."
"I think it's hopeful, because it's been crickets, it's been silent for a long time," SAG-AFTRA member Chad Coe told CBS News of Friday's meeting.
Paramount Pictures, one of the studios involved in the negotiations, and CBS News are both part of Paramount Global. Some CBS News staff are SAG-AFTRA or Writers Guild members, but their contracts are not affected by the strikes.
- In:
- Hollywood
- Economy
- Writers Guild of America
- Screen Actors Guild
- Strike
- California
Jonathan Vigliotti is a CBS News correspondent based in Los Angeles. He previously served as a foreign correspondent for the network's London bureau.
TwitterveryGood! (4532)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- AP Week in Pictures: Latin America and Caribbean
- Nigerians remember those killed or detained in the 2020 protests against police brutality
- What's Making Us Happy: A guide to your weekend viewing and listening
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- Misinformation & uninformed comments are clogging war coverage; plus, Tupac's legacy
- State Department issues worldwide caution alert for U.S. citizens due to Israel-Hamas war
- Major water main break that affected thousands in northern New York repaired
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Alex Jones ordered to pay judgment to Sandy Hook families, despite bankruptcy
Ranking
- The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
- Deputies find 5-year-old twins dead after recovering body of mother who had jumped from bridge
- Barbie no party? Union lists Halloween costumes prohibited for striking actors
- Former Florida lawmaker who sponsored ‘Don’t Say Gay’ sentenced to prison for COVID-19 relief fraud
- Billy Bean was an LGBTQ advocate and one of baseball's great heroes
- Andre Iguodala, the 2015 NBA Finals MVP, announces retirement after 19 seasons
- Owner of California biolab that fueled bio-weapons rumors charged with mislabeling, lacking permits
- SAG-AFTRA asks striking actors to avoid certain popular characters as Halloween costumes
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Maren Morris Shares Message on Facing What's Necessary Amid Ryan Hurd Divorce
Rafah border remains closed amid mounting calls for Gaza aid: Reporter's notebook
Tennessee Supreme Court delivers partial win for Airbnb in legal disputes with HOAs
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Judge in Missouri transgender care lawsuit agrees to step aside but decries ‘gamesmanship’
A jury is deliberating the case of a man accused of killing a New Hampshire couple on a hiking trail
How a hidden past, a name change and GPS led to Katrina Smith's killer